Graves' Disease Update

Graves' Disease Update

Happy Hump Day y'all! I love this quote because it's just so true! "I stress about stress before there's stress to stress about. Then I stress about stressing over stress that doesn't need to be stressed about. It's stressful." This whole move has got me stressing about my health. It seems like a life time ago since the last time I was seen by a doctor. Although, it probably only feels that way since I saw someone at least once a month before moving. Finally, after getting settled in our new home I got myself a new PCM (Primary Care Manager).

The day I called, the front desk told me to come in later that morning. So I got the boys dressed, made their bottles to go and dropped them off with my best friend. When I got to the office I signed in and waited as usual.

Within 5 minutes my name was called and a nurse took my vitals and weight. All normal, as I thought they'd be. I did noticed I had put on a few pounds since the move, but I figured as much. I always seem to gain about 5 pounds when moving...thanks to being on the road and stressed.

I waited in the room for about 10 minutes before a man in a white coat walked in. He was a second year resident and so nice! We talked about my medical history and about my current situation. He was a family medicine doctor so he knew of Graves' but wasn't comfortable treating me.

Because he was a resident, he had to consult with another physician before going ahead with a treatment plan. I waited for what felt like forever before not only he, but a woman walked through the door. She introduced herself and again I went over my situation.

She was cold and rude. She didn't seem to care about what I wanted. She of course jumped to just removing my thyroid or killing it with radiation. Which just made me angry. I told her absolutely not. When I didn't agree with her (because nothing she said I agreed with) I looked over at the other doctor and found him smiling. I couldn't help but find this hilarious. The woman doctor must not be used to patients sticking up for themselves and "not listening" to her, and I wasn't the only one who found it funny.

When she left the room, my doctor told me he had ordered some labs for me and that he would put in a referral to see an endocrinologist. I was nervous, but excited to see my progress. This move was so hard on me that I was afraid my labs would be all over the place. I slacked and I know it. I went off Paleo, I didn't exercise and I hardly drank water. On top of everything, I kept forgetting about my medication.

I drove to the lab at the hospital down the street and the whole way there I was just praying to God that they came back normal. I checked in and waited for probably 30 minutes. The sweetest lady in the world called me back and drew my blood. She talked to me the whole time and was so nice! She told me that the hospital would have my results in just four hours! I was shocked! I've never had labs come back the same day.

I went to pick the boys up around 1:30 in the afternoon and waited to get a call from my doctor.

It never came.

I, of course, was anxious waiting for the results so I called the next morning. The receptionist answered and when I asked to hear what my results were she said, "One second while I pull you up." I just sat there counting my breath and my heart was racing like crazy. She came back and told me that all three tests came back normal.


I almost didn't believe her so I asked for the exact levels. She had no problem giving them to me. My Free T3 and Free T4 were both in the normal range for the first time since June of 2016. My TSH was slightly above normal, but only marginally, which my doctor assured me still means it's normal since I have no symptoms. I couldn't help but jump for joy as soon as we hung up!

THIS! This is what I've been working towards. This is what I've been waiting for. I'm finally stable. It's an amazing feeling! To celebrate, I made myself a yummy waffle breakfast because, hey why not?

I also have an appointment set up for the end of April to see an endocrinologist. Hopefully they can give me some better guidance and we'll go from there.

Next on my list? Remission. I'm coming for you Graves' so watch out.

Back to blog